We have been running since we had our kids - in every way! Life is like a marathon - full of uphills and downhills, water stops, taking the time to stretch, beautiful views, fast sprints, slow walks, and yes, sore muscles. But we are thankful for all of it because when we reach the finish line at the end of each day we know that it was all worth it!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Graduation!

I finally graduated with my master's degree in Applied Linguistics from the University of Utah! I had started it about 9 years ago while I was teaching at Hunter High School through Granite District.  Then we moved to Reno when I only had 2 or 3 classes left to take.  After moving back to Utah, I finally got it together to go back up to the linguistics office. Lucky for me, my teacher was serving as the chair over the department.  She helped me get things together and sign up for my remaining classes.  Through some miracle, I passed my final comprehensive exam (after hours and hours of studying with my new friend Hazel) and got through my 50 page paper.  I memorized every grammar rule known to man, memorized statistical analysis computations, and research testing all while I was taking my two final classes where in one I had to design a whole entire ESL class curriculum.  Through a lot of praying I finally made it!  The kids were so happy...  We went to donuts the morning of my graduation at our favorite donut store, Banbury Cross.  Yum!  They even had "U" donuts to eat!  To top it all, I ended up with a perfect 4.0 cumulative for my degree.  Miracles happen every day!


















4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Lisa,

So awesome!! Congrats!! I am thinking that I am going to start working on my master's as well!! Yikes!! Tell my favorite Miss Marlie hi for me! I hope you are all having an awesome summer and I'm sure I will see you all when school starts again.

Rebecca
(Miss Kunz)

Julie said...

I'm so proud of you. How super sweet!!

runningmom said...

Fun to see the pictures! A 4.0!!! WOW!!! Quite impressive--especially knowing how busy you've been!! Congrats!

Camille said...

you ROCK! seriously you are so amazing to have done that. you are an inspiration to me ;) i had so much fun with you at the pool today. can't wait till we can do it again!