There comes a time in life when you have to do something that you truly believed you never would do. Doing the LOTOJA relay was one of those times. I had watched Kevin and my brother-in-law, John Peebler, do this race each year. My sister-in-law, Sue, and I were the supply car - stopping at each rest stop, nervously anticipating our husbands coming in - not knowing if they were going to be wasted out or excited.
The LOTOJA stands for Logan to Jackson (Logan, UT to Jackson, Hole) and consists of cycling for 207 miles all in one day.
Kevin has signed up for this race year after year, even though he had to go in the ambulance the last time for severe dehydration and exercise induced hypoglycemia. So... much to my excitement, this year Kevin decided that instead of one more trip to the ER, he would have us four do a relay team.
5:30 am start in Logan - Sue and I first up (so dark I couldn't see anything but the cycling butt in front of me!) - 34 miles
Switch to John and Kevin at next stop (Preston, Idaho)
Sue and I switch again at Alpine, Wyoming with 47 miles to go! (Beautiful ride uphill into Teton Village, Jackson Hole, Wyoming)
All I can say is my butt hurt so bad from riding hard in the morning, sitting in the car while the guys rode 126 miles, and then getting on for another 47 miles. I do not recommend it!
But, I have to say, it was definitely better than riding in the ambulance to the ER with Kevin hooked up to an IV. As a wife, you do what you have to do...
No comments:
Post a Comment